Williams seeks better discipline ahead of T20I series

Raven

Banned
Jan 9, 2020
TI.net
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Williams wants his team to get their basics right © AFP

Zimbabwe skipper Sean Williams is optimistic about the upcoming T20I series against Bangladesh despite their winless streak on the tour so far.

Bangladesh look clear favourites after winning the one-off Test match followed by a clean sweep of the three-match ODI series.

''Obviously, those formats are gone now and we are fully focused on T20 cricket,'' Williams told ahead of the opening game against Bangladesh on Sunday. "I think T20 can swing either way. Two balls can change the game. We have a young team who are excited to play the shorter format in Mirpur."

Williams added that he has sought an improvement from his players particularly in getting their basics right which was lacking during the ODI series.

"We are fully focused on the T20s. I haven't mentioned ODIs to the players at all. It looks like they have clear minds in the net sessions. It is a lot better now. I think the freedom to play T20s will change things. But the basics of our game were very poor."

"Our all-round basics have been poor. Backing up, walking in, too upright, letting singles and boundary balls through the last balls of the over. Small things have made a big difference for us. They have let us down badly. I am extremely hard on them now. I want discipline back,'' said Williams.

"For me it was a matter of skill. Our skill levels were down. Our basics were poor. Two new balls in either ends but no wicket in the first ten overs meant that it was extremely hard on our spinners. And then the spinners not taking wickets in the middle period made it hard for the pace bowlers in the death overs. We only got two run outs with the new ball, so we have to improve fast,'' he added.