Thalia Reflects on Her Career, Music as a 'Salvation Tool' & Transitioning From Pop .

Raven

Banned
Jan 9, 2020
TI.net
Thalia Reflects on Her Career, Music as a 'Salvation Tool' & Transitioning From Pop to Urban

John Parra/Getty Images
Thalia poses for a portrait during her new single release at Ampersand Studios on Feb. 14, 2020 in Miami.
Mexican singer Thalia kicked off 2020 by releasing “Ya Tú Me Conoces” with sibling duo Mau and Ricky, but she has many plans for this year including hosting Premio Lo Nuestro (for the first time) and more music.

Thalia has had an incredible and versatile trajectory, filled with success and followed by millions of loyal fans throughout her 30-year career. And, during a conversation with Billboard, Thalia looks back in time to detail her musical style, why she's transitioning from pop to urban, her new song with Mau and Ricky and more.

Thalia arrives at the 20th Annual Latin Grammy Awards in Las Vegas on Nov. 14, 2019.
READ MORE
Thalia & Pabllo Vittar Have a 'Hot' Collaboration Coming and Fans Are Losing it
How has the transition from pop to urban music been for you?

I feel that urban music is the new pop. It reminds me of The Latin Explosion era when we all wanted to do the English crossover and the same goes for the urban today, to be able to merge your personal style with urban beats is amazing. I think this beat allows all genres to be unique because it is a very generous genre. In my case, I always liked to mix different sounds like, for example, at the beginning of my career I was very pop but it gave a touch of rock.

And this change is felt in the new collaboration with Mau and Ricky tell me a little more about how this collaboration came along?

I do have a fabulous chemistry with Mau and Ricky. I have known them for years as songwriters and now that they are already singers, they sent me this song during my new musical research and I loved it. Really, “Tu Ya Me Conoces” is a song that is about being yourself because you don’t have to change for others.

Your first album is turning 30 years old, how you feel when you look back in time?

For me music is everything, it is something that has healed me, has helped me to free myself, to understand love and life. It’s my salvation tool and I am very happy to be able to continue making music from here standing in constant change growing and sharing.

You have two children; do you think any of them will follow your steps in music?

My daughter loves music. She enjoys it a lot, there is no day that goes by without creating a playlist. But they have more on the side of graphic design, they digitally paint. My son is very involved in the world of gamers but really what they want to be, as a mother, I support them.

Do you really miss doing a heartbreaking ballad?

I love them, and I miss them a lot. And, I know that many of my fans love that side of me. This past year, I’ve been in the studio creating new songs and there are quite a few surprises on the way.