Minions: Rise of Gru Box Office Haul Is Projected To Smash Records

jb888

Jun 9, 2022
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
screenshot-2022.07.02-13_37_111656783431158.jpg

Minions: The Rise of Gru is projected to smash domestic box office records for the Fourth of July holiday weekend. The film is the fifth overall entry in the Despicable Me franchise, which began in 2010. It is the follow-up to the 2015 spin-off Minions, which explored the origins of the strange yellow creatures whose antics in the Despicable films have delighted both adults and children for years. Although there hasn't been an entry in the franchise since 2017's Despicable Me 3, that is largely due to the fact that the COVID-19 pandemic delayed many intended 2020 releases, including Minions: The Rise of Gru.

The Rise of Gru, which came to theaters on July 1, 2022, bridges the gap between Minions and the original Despicable Me, following the Minions' very first adventure with the future villain Gru (Steve Carell) when he was a child in the 1970s. The film follows an 11-year-old Gru attempting to join the league of villains known as the Vicious 6 while his new companions sow chaos wherever they go. The star-studded voice cast of the film includes Carell, Taraji P. Henson, Michelle Yeoh, RZA, Jean-Claude Van Damme, Lucy Lawless, Dolph Lundgren, Danny Trejo, Russell Brand, Alan Arkin, and Julie Andrews reprising her Despicable Me role as Gru's mother.

Per Deadline, Minions: The Rise of Gru is currently projected to make $109.5 million at the domestic box office this weekend, with its four-day total gross expected to reach $129.2 million. Its overall global opening weekend gross is now looking to be around $196.6 million, which is substantially higher than the original projection of $150 million. It is currently on its way to becoming the highest opening weekend for any Illumination Entertainment animated movie.

screenshot-2022.07.02-13_38_571656783537174.jpg

Although the specifics are hard to nail down, Minions: The Rise of Gru looks like it's going to smash a four-day holiday weekend record as well. This year, America's Independence Day is on a Monday, giving theaters an ample three-day weekend to draw in audiences who aren't at work. Minions is certainly poised to beat out the previous highest Friday to Sunday performer, which was Transformers: Dark of the Moon, as well as beating out the four-day total of Spider-Man: Far from Home, though it's difficult to measure its "opening weekend" as that 2019 film opened on the Tuesday before a Thursday holiday.

Considering the fact that Transformers made $1.124 billion total and Spider-Man: Far from Home made $1.131 billion, that spells out potential huge dividends for Minions: The Rise of Gru. It does remain to be seen if the children's property can maintain a similar level of audience interest on a non-holiday weekend. However, the previous Minions film also made more than $1 billion on the back of the comic antics of the Minions, so there's no telling what the sequel might do, especially with these promising early projections.